It's 2020 so you've probably heard all the buzz about menstrual cups by now and if you haven't, not to worry! We're about to cover all of those looming questions that you might have popping into your head like: how they work and why so many people are jumping on the bandwagon.
We're super excited to bring you new health and wellness supplies to support your holistic journey! As we become more educated about what goes into products and our bodies, it is a privilege to have access to the latest and the greatest solutions which is why we are proud to carry Menstrual Cups by Super Jennie! Now, let's get down to it!
What Is a Menstrual Cup?
Menstrual cups are an innovative alternative to tampons and pads. They are designed to sit in the lower part of the vagina and collect your period. Menstrual cups are made of 100% medical grade silicone, meaning they are flexible, comfortable and safe to wear for up to 12 hours! Say hello to the easiest period of your life!
- High Capacity - You may wear your cup for up to 12 hours depending on your flow. Menstrual cups are perfect when sleeping, travelling, exercising or working long shifts. Many customers with a heavy flow or who have given birth love and recommend Super Jennie over other brands.
- Comfortable & Flexible - Once you've become a pro, it's easy to forget you're wearing a menstrual cup or even on your period. And yes... this remains true when you're enjoying all of your favourite activities like swimming, skiing, yoga; you name it!
- Reusable - Investing in a menstrual cup is good for your bank and the environment because it can be reused (for up to a year or longer). Traditional pads and tampons can add up in cost and landfills. You also wont have to worry about making a late night emergency trip to stock up on feminine products.
- Confidence - You can wear your cup when anticipating your period to make sure it doesn't catch you by surprise. Super Jennie is known for supporting the heaviest of flows, giving you that much needed confidence while on your period. You may experience light spotting which can occur if the cup is not correctly positioned and sealed to your vaginal walls.
- Safer - Unlike conventional tampons and pads that contain chemicals, bleach and fragrances that can be absorbed by the body, Super Jennie menstrual cups are made in the USA using 100% medical grade silicone. It is FDA registered.
Which Cup Size Is Right for You?
Small 1.08 oz (31.99 ml) - Lighter flow and low-med cervix.
Large 1.41 OZ (41.61 ML) - Heavier flow and med-high cervix
*All Super Jennie cups include a cotton storage pouch and thorough instructions.
How to Insert & Remove Your Cup
If it's your first time using your menstrual cup, make sure to boil it for 5-10 minutes in a large pot with plenty of water. And don't forget to wash your hands before and after handling your cup.
Now comes the intimidating part. There are multiple different folding methods so you may want to play around to find out which one you like best.
The C Fold
This is the most common folding method because it is simple. Flatten your cup (step 2) to ensure the rims are pinched together. Next, bring the two sides in together, folding it in half to create a C-shape (step 3) and get ready to insert it (step 4).
If you do not like this folding method and are interested in alternative, visit Super Jennie's website here.
Find a comfortable position (sit, squat, stand) and spread your legs. Keeping the cup folded, slowly insert it into the vagina on an angle towards your tailbone. Once inside, you can check that your cup has fully opened up by feeling the sides to make sure it feels round and snug. If it has not unfolded completely, rotate or wiggle it slowly.
Your Super Jennie cup can be worn for up to 12 hours. It is recommended that you empty and clean you cup at least twice per day. Wash you hands with warm water and get comfortable (the more relaxed your muscles are, the easier it is to insert or remove your cup). Pinch the bottom portion of your menstrual cup (avoid pulling on the tab) to release the suction seal. Slowly pull and wiggle your cup until it is fully removed. Empty the contents in a toilet, rinse it with warm water and or a mild soap (see below) and you're all set to insert it again.
How to Care & Clean your Cup
Before using your cup for the first time, make sure to boil it for 5-10 minutes. You may also boil it periodically (such as after your cycle) for a good thorough clean and to reduce any discolouration or odour.
After emptying your menstrual cup or at the end of each day, make sure to clean it using a mild soap that is free of any fragrance or oil. You should also be able to find cleansers specifically designed for menstrual cups at your local drug store. If you are out and about, you may rinse your cup with water.
*Always ensure that you use potable water that is safe for drinking; especially when travelling.
Replacing Your Super Jennie
The lifespan of your Menstrual Cup all depends on how you use and care for it. Over time, you may notice damage or deterioration (instructions include examples of what to look for). If you notice anything different in the appearance, this is your indication to get a new cup! Super Jennie recommends replacing your cup after a year if you use it regularly.
Do not wear if you have had Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS). If you have any concerns, consult your physician.
Get your Super Jennie Menstrual Cup today! Click here to shop.