Let's get one thing straight: essential oils are for everyone! There’s no denying that a vast majority of essential oil users are in fact women, but we can’t forget how incredibly helpful essential oils can be for men, especially those wanting to lead themselves or their family into a more healthy and holistic lifestyle. Whether you're looking for something to relieve stress, fight fatigue, or help get rid of muscle stiffness– this is the article for you! Here are 7 essential oils that we think would make a great start for men who are looking for natural alternatives to support their body and mind.
Reminder: When applying essential oils topically, always dilute it with a carrier oil such as fractionated coconut oil, jojoba oil, almond oil, etc. This will help "carry" the oil into your skin for maximum absorption.
Top properties: Anti-depressant, anti-inflammatory, restorative
Frankincense essential oil has the ability to reduce heart rate and high blood pressure associated with negative emotions; it includes plenty of stress-relieving properties that men can benefit from. It’s also a helpful sleep aid! Frankincense can help promote prostate health and reduce pain and inflammation. It can also help with brain health, cognitive function, and memory loss.
- Add 1 or 2 drops to the palm of your hand, rub them together and take deep breaths to relieve stress
- Add a few drops of Frankincense to a diffuser to help with sleep
- Apply Frankincense to sore and aching muscles
Top properties: Antiseptic, antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral
Tea Tree essential oil is antifungal, antibacterial, antiseptic, antiviral, you name it! Due to these properties, it’s great for speeding up the healing of cuts or wounds by increasing circulation in the injured area. Tea Tree can also be used as a spot treatment to reduce skin imperfections and help treat conditions such as athlete’s foot and toe fungus. It can help reduce dandruff and may even induce hair growth due to increased circulation.
- Apply Tea Tree/Melaleuca to any cuts or wounds to help heal them up
- Put 1 or 2 drops of Tea Tree in your shampoo to decrease dandruff and increase hair growth
- Apply Tea Tree as a spot treatment with a Q-tip to help with skin imperfections
Top properties: Digestive stimulant, decongestant, expectorant, antispasmodic
Cardamom essential oil can provide relief for those who struggle with respiratory issues by opening the bronchial airways and increasing airflow to the lungs. It boosts nerve and brain function and also contains a high source of phytonutrients and manganese which can help form tissue, bones, and sex hormones. Cardamom can also be used to treat bad breath, tooth decay, and decrease cavity development. This is also a great oil to treat digestive issues such as stomach aches.
- To help with congestion, apply over the chest and the bridge of your nose
- Apply to the abdomen to help with digestive issues
- Apply under your nose to help with mental fatigue
Top properties: Cooling, analgesic, antispasmodic, anti-inflammatory
Peppermint essential oil has a strong minty aroma and a slight cooling effect when applied topically. Peppermint is great for a boost of energy and increased alertness during that midday slump or right before a workout. The cooling and antispasmodic properties of Peppermint also make it a good treatment for muscle and joint pain (including headaches). A few other uses for Peppermint are: helps alleviate allergies, IBS symptoms, nausea, and hair growth.
- Apply to temples and around the forehead to help get rid of migraines and headaches
- Apply directly to stiff in aching muscles for pain and inflammation relief
- Gargle 1 drop of Peppermint in water and spit to get rid of bad breath
- Apply to the temples and back of your neck for an energy boost
Top properties: Antioxidant, antiseptic, antibacterial, detoxification
Lemon is one of the most versatile essential oils that comes rich in antioxidants and supports the immune system. Lemon essential oil purifies the body by detoxing the blood, liver, and increasing lymphatic drainage to help get rid of waste and toxins. Lemon can also make a great cleaning agent, especially if you work in a hands-on environment where things tend to get messy. You can also use this oil to help clear up mucus, phlegm, and allergy symptoms.
- Apply over and around the bridge of your nose to help with allergies (or runny nose)
- Add 1 drop of Lemon essential oil to your water for a nice flavour and detoxing effect. Not comfortable taking oils internally? Apply it to the bottom of your feet instead
- Keep lemon on hand all the time for dirt spots, stains, and as a quick hand sanitizer
Top properties: Antioxidant, neurotonic, antispasmodic
Black pepper is great for reducing the pain of injured muscles and lessens the symptoms of tendonitis and arthritis. Black pepper can be combined with Cedarwood or other oils to create a warm and earthy natural cologne. This essential oil can also help reduce anxious feelings and decrease cigarette cravings
- Add several drops of black pepper to a nasal inhaler, and inhale when you need to curb a craving
- Apply topically to sore and aching muscles
- Add a few drops to your diffuser along with Frankincense and Cedarwood
Top properties: Anti-inflammatory, sedative, astringent, diuretic
The warm and inviting scent of cedarwood essential oil makes a great alternative for conventional colognes that tend to contain many harsh chemicals! Cedarwood can help relieve stress, anxiety, and it also can be used as a sedative to help with a restful nights sleep. You can also use this essential oil for minor skin imperfections (including dry/ageing skin), and to promote hair growth.
- Apply one or two drops to the collar of your shirt, or behind your ears for a subtle woodsy scent
- Use as a natural mosquito repellant
- Add a few drops to a diffuser for a restful nights sleep
Resources and Products
"For both the new and the experienced essential oil user, the Essential Life is a composition of everything needed to create positive and profound results. Providing both simple quick-reference information and expert-level knowledge, this book brings together the best research and proven solutions to provide you, the user, a trusted, credible and comprehensive guide. Reach for your oils and refer to this book often.”
The Men's Care Kit comes with everything you need to get started with essential oils. The kit comes with a variety of plastic, glass, and roller bottles to help get you started. It has all the bottles you will need for the "It's a Guy Thing" recipe label sheet that it comes with.