In this blog, you will learn how to make your very own shaving cream using all-natural ingredients! It's light, fluffy and moisturizing, meaning it can help prevent razor burns, nicks, ingrown hairs and dry, irritated skin.
Fractionated Coconut Oil
FCO is one of the most popular carrier oils because it allows essential oils to be absorbed by the skin. It will moisturize and leave your skin feeling smooth and soft.
Shea Butter will add a thick and creamy consistency to your recipes. It contains Vitamins A, E & F and is known to be deeply moisturizing and nourishing for the skin (especially super dry skin).
Jojoba Oil closely resembles the natural oils of the human skin (sebum) and is rich in vitamin E. It creates a barrier on the skin to help retain moisture and leave your skin feeling soft.
Essential Oil & Known Characteristics
Calming & Soothing - Lavender, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Siberian Fir
Cleansing - Grapefruit, Lime & Tea Tree
Cooling & Invigorating - Peppermint
Below, are a few suggested combinations of essential oils to try. If you don't own a specific oil or are particular when it comes to scent, please feel free to make adjustments.
3 drops Peppermint, 3 drops Tea Tree (Melaleuca) and 10 drops Sandalwood
5 drops Lavender, 5 drops Grapefruit (or Orange) and 5 drops Siberian Fir
5 drops Patchouli, 5 drops Lavender and 5 drops Tea Tree
3 drops Patchouli, 3 drops Lime, 10 drops Sandalwood
WHIPPED SHAVING CREAM RECIPE
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- 1 cup Organic Raw Shea Butter (solid)
- 3/4 cup Fractionated Coconut Oil (liquid)
- 1/4 tbsp Organic Jojoba Oil or Almond Oil
- 15 drops of essential oil
- PET Plastic Jar (shower safe)
- Create a double boiler by placing a heat resistant bowl (we used a pyrex glass measuring cup) over top of a pot of boiling water and add your shea butter.
- Once melted (it won't take long), remove from heat and let cool for 15 minutes.
- Next, stir in fractionated coconut oil, jojoba oil and essential oils (based on your choosing). We went with 5 drops of each Lavender, Patchouli and Tea Tree.
- Chill mixture in the freezer until solid then remove.
- Take an electric mixer and whip the mixture until it becomes fluffy and light with a butter-like consistency.
- Transfer your whipped shaving cream to a PET plastic jar (shower safe).
Feel free to use less shea butter and more fractionated coconut oil depending on the preferred consistency.
When using: For the best shaving experience, give your body time for your skin to soften the under warm water before spreading on your whipped shaving cream for a nice clean shave.
Axe, J. (2018, May 21). 77 Coconut Oil Uses. Retrieved from https://draxe.com/nutrition/fats-and-oils/coconut-oil-uses/
Moyer, N. (2018, September 29). Emollient: Benefits, Types, and Uses. Retrieved from https://www.healthline.com/health/emollient