It's time to get back into the spring of things.
To get you inspired, we have collected our top most useful DIY cleaning recipes for the home! They are easy to make and guaranteed to get the job done (naturally of course). Regular store-bought cleaners tend to be full of synthetic fragrances and harsh chemicals, which are harmful for your family, pets and the environment. On the other hand, our natural cleaners are just as effective and much safer.
IMPORTANT TIP: In any water-based recipe, you should make sure you are including an emulsifier such as Castile soap, Epsom salt, or high-grade alcohol for a few reasons. The first being, that an emulsifier helps your essential oils to stay suspended and evenly distributed throughout your solution. Without an emulsifier, the two won't mix and instead, your oils will just float on the surface of your mixture. This can cause skin irritations and breakdown your spray bottle mechanism over time. Pure essential oils are extremely potent.
Without further-ado, let's jump into it!
The first recipe is a must have in any home! It's extremely versatile and can be used on everyday surfaces like countertops, tables, switches, handles, remotes, toys, the inside of your fridge and pretty much anything else that needs a regular clean. Avoid letting your mixture sit for long or scrubbing your surface abrasively as this cleaner may wear down the finish.
- 2 tbsp Liquid Castile Soap
- Option A: 20 drops Protective blend (dōTERRA: OnGuard or Young Living: Thieves) + 10 drops Orange essential oil
- Option B: 30 drops total of any combination of Lemon, Lavender & Peppermint essential oil
- Option C: 30 drops total of any combination of Orange, Clove, Arborvitae & Cinnamon essential oil
- 16 oz Glass Spray Bottle or 500 ml Aluminum Bottle
Combine ingredients in your spray bottle and fill the rest with distilled water. Give your mixture a good shake before using it. Spray and wipe surfaces with a cloth.
*Instead of Castile soap, you can also use dōTERRA's OnGuard Cleaning Concentrate, 1/4 cup of rubbing alcohol or 1 cup of white vinegar.
Creamy Scouring Scrub
Our second go-to cleaner is a creamy scouring scrub that you can use on sinks, tubs, tiles, hard to scrub dishes and even your oven! All you need are three simple ingredients and away you go!
We used Orange essential oil for this recipe because of its natural disinfectant properties and because it smells so fresh and energizing. Baking soda is another key component to this recipe because it neutralizes any lurking odours and has a mildly abrasive texture that is awesome for removing stubborn grime. The Castile soap will help to disinfect and lift any grime.Supplies:
- 1 cup of Baking Soda
- 5 tbsp of Liquid Castile Soap
- 10 drops of Orange essential oil (Lavender, Tea Tree and Peppermint essential oils are also great options)
- 300 ml PET Plastic Jar or any jar you have handy
In your jar, mix the ingredients together until they form a creamy paste. Apply the mixture to your surface and use a scouring pad or brush to scrub. If necessary, let the mixture sit on the surface for 15-20 minutes so it can work its magic before scrubbing away. Finish with using a damp cloth to wipe away any paste.
If there’s one thing we all dread, it’s cleaning toilets. But have no fear, this fizzing concoction will leave your toilets smelling fresh and looking sparkly. The measurements for this recipe will differ depending on the state and size of your toilet.
Tea Tree (Melaleuca) essential oil has antibacterial and antimicrobial properties, making it one of the best oils to use in germ-ridden areas. We also love a good citrus oil because of the fresh and uplifting scent, and powerful cleansing and purifying properties.
- 1/2 to 1 cup of white vinegar or 2-4 tbsp of liquid Castile soap
- 1/2 cup Baking Soda
- 8 drops of essential oil (Tea Tree, Lemon, Orange, Grapefruit, Peppermint)
- Add vinegar to your toilet bowl. You can pour it in or add as much as you're going to use to a spray bottle so you can easily coat all sides of your toilet. We recommend rinsing your spray bottle afterwards as the vinegar may breakdown the spray mechanism if it sits in your bottle over time.
- Sprinkle the baking soda over top of the vinegar. You should notice a fizzing reaction between the two.
- Add in your essential oils.
- Let the mixture sit for at least 15 min (the longer the better).
- Use a toilet brush to give your bowl a thorough swish.
Glass & Mirror Cleaner
Your spring cleaning arsenal is not complete without a hard-working glass cleaner! It's finally time to wipe away all of the dirt, dust, and residue that has accumulated over time. You can use this on mirrors, windows and glass tables!
All of the ingredients in this recipe work together to create a mixture that disinfects, shines, and quickly evaporates to prevent streaks.
- 1/3 cup Perfumery Alcohol or Rubbing Alcohol
- 1/2 cup White Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch
- 8 drops of essential oil (Grapefruit, Orange, Lemon, Red Mandarin, or any citrus oil)
- 16 oz Glass Spray Bottle or 500 ml Aluminum Bottle
Combine ingredients in a 16 oz Glass Spray Bottle or 500 ml Aluminum Bottle spray bottle and top with distilled water. Give your mixture a good shake, spray your surface, and wipe with a microfiber cloth in a circular motion until dry and sparkly.
Next on the list are carpets which tend to harvest unwanted odours and dirt (especially if you have pets or kids). This recipe is a great way to freshen up your space!
- 8 drops Tea Tree (Melaleuca) essential oil
- 8 drops Wild Orange or Grapefruit essential oil
- 3/4 cup of Baking Soda
- 180 ml Shaker Bottle
We like to shake and hang our carpets outside to air out for an hour before using this recipe. Combine ingredients in your shaker bottle and sprinkle on your carpet. Let it sit for 20-40 minutes before vacuuming it up. You can also use a glass jar and poke holes in the lid.
Last but not least, you can't forget about the floors! You'd be surprised at how dirty they can get over time. This floor cleaner will help remove sticky stains, dirt, and dust.
- 1 C Warm Water
- 1 C White Vinegar
- ½ tbsp Natural Dish Soap
- 10 drops Orange essential oil
You can use this recipe with a spray bottle and your own homemade Swiffer pad or a traditional mop. Duplicate this recipe several times to cover large surfaces.
These are all the cleaning products that we ever really need to keep our homes sparkling clean without having a cupboard full of chemicals.
If you’re looking for vinyl bottle labels, check out our Metallic Green Clean Label Sheets. Available in Gold, Silver, and Rose Gold. You can also find a variety of Raw Materials and Empty Bottles on our website as well!
Happy Spring Cleaning!
You can subscribe to our email newsletter here or follow us on Instagram & Facebook to stay up to date! Feel free to tag us in photos of your spring cleaning arsenal. We’d love to see these recipes in action!