Mister bottles continue to be one of our best-sellers! There are endless ways to use them but in case you need a few ideas, we've compiled 7 recipes using essential oils below! Enjoy!
Before we jump in, keep in mind that these recipes are merely a suggestion. You can substitute ingredients based on what you have available to you and what you know works for you (for example, swap out orange essential oil for grapefruit or swap jojoba oil for fractionated coconut oil). You can also adjust the drop amounts accordingly.
And don't forget about the importance of incorporating an emulsifier! As many of you may know, oils and water do not mix. In any water-based recipe, make sure you are including an emulsifier such as epsom salt, high-grade alcohol or vegetable glycerine (depending on the recipe). Emulsifiers help essential oils to stay suspended and evenly distributed throughout your solution. This prevents skin irritations and prolongs the life of your spray bottle mechanism over time. Pure essential oils are extremely potent.
Yoga Mat Cleaner
Anti-bacterial, fresh & cleansing
- Option A: 2 drops Orange or Grapefruit + 2 drops Tea Tree + 2 drops Peppermint
- Option B: 3 drops Lavender + 3 drops Eucalyptus
- 1/2 tbsp Witch Hazel
- Emulsifier: Pinch of Epsom Salt or 1/2 tsp of Vodka, Rubbing Alcohol or Perfumery Alcohol
Add essential oils, witch hazel and emulsifier of choice to a 30 ml mister bottle. Make sure if you're using epsom salt to dissolve it in distilled water and allow time for it to cool before adding in your essential oils.
Shake and spray down your yoga mat. Let it sit for a few minutes and then wipe it with a cloth. Repeat on the other side. It's always a good idea to let your mat air out after your practice (especially if it was a sweaty session).
Everyone loves a fresh smelling room! Tailor your blend based on the type of room.
- For Your Kitchen: 4 drops Lemon + 2 drops Rosemary
- For your Washroom: 3 drops Bergamot + 3 drops Eucalyptus
- For your Bedroom: 3 drops Grapefruit + 3 drops Lavender
- For your Living Room: 2 drops Grapefruit + 2 drops Bergamot + 2 drops Orange + 2 drops Frankincense
- 1 tsp Perfumery Alcohol or Vodka or Rubbing Alcohol or a pinch of Epsom Salt dissolved
Add essential oils and your emulsifier of choice to a 30 ml mister bottle and top with distilled water. If you're using epsom salt, dissolve it in the distilled water and allow time for it to cool before adding in your essential oils.
Shake before each use. Spray around your home and enjoy the lovely aromas of your essential oils!
Not only do all three types of alcohol-based emulsifiers help essential oils to stay suspended in this water-based spray, but they also help your mixture to evaporate quickly.
Gentle, hydrating, refreshing
*Other essential oils that are good for skincare include Geranium, Frankincense, Blue Tansy & Tea Tree (use what you have and what you know works best for your skin type).
Add essential oils, witch hazel and jojoba oil to a 30 ml mister bottle and fill the rest up with distilled water. Shake before every use. After using a facial cleanser, spritz your face with toner (keep your eyes and mouth closed) and pat your face gently with a cotton pad to remove any excess. You might be shocked by how much dead skin, makeup and bacteria are still lingering even after washing your face!
Get textured hair that smells fabulous!
- Option A: 2 drops Lavender + 2 drops Grapefruit + 2 drops Rosemary + 2 drops Cedarwood
- Option B: 3 drops Grapefruit + 6 drops Sandalwood
- 1/2 tsp Fractionated Coconut Oil, Jojoba Oil or Argan Oil
- 1/2 tsp Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
Add essential oils to your 30 ml mister bottle along with your choice of carrier oil. Dissolve sugar and salt in distilled water and allow time for it to cool before filling up the rest of your bottle.
*You can start with 1/2 of sugar and add more if you want a stronger hold.
- Option A: 3 drops Orange + 3 drops Lavender + 2 drops Frankincense + 1 drop Vetiver
- Option B: 4 drops Sandalwood + 2 drops Bergamot + 1 drop Lavender
- Option C: 5 drops Lavender + 3 drops Chamomile
- Option D: 3 drops Green Mandarin + 3 drops Sandalwood
- Pinch of Epsom Salt
Make sure to dissolve the epsom salts in distilled water and allow time for it to cool before adding in your essential oils. Combine in a 30 ml mister bottle. Shake and spray on sheets, linens or your pillow for fresh aromas.
- Option A: 10 drops Tangerine + 3 drops Ylang Ylang + 3 drops Sandalwood
- Option B: 6 drops drops Vetiver + 6 drops Grapefruit + 3 drops Ginger
- Option C: 10 drops Orange + 4 drops Patchouli + 4 drops Ginger
- Option D: 8 drops Orange + 3 drops Ylang Ylang + 3 drops Geranium + 1 drop Clove
- 1 tsp Perfumery Alcohol or Vodka or a pinch of Epsom Salt
Add the essential oil combination of your choosing to your 30 ml mister bottle along with an emulsifier (perfumery alcohol, vodka, or even a pinch of epsom salt) and top with distilled water or witch hazel. Shake, spray and do a little dance! You'll smell fabulous from head to toe!
If you decide to use Epsom salt, make sure to dissolve it in distilled water and allow time for it to cool before adding in your essential oils.